Integrating Ezoic With WPEngine
Ezoic users attempting to leverage the Ezoic plugin as a form of integration on a site hosted at WPEngine may be restricted from using the plugin to access One or many features.
Due to caching rules applied by default to WPEngine sites, Ezoic's Wordpress plugin loses a lot of feature functionality which prevents this as a form of integration specifically on WPEngine. Other Wordpress hosts typically do not have this same issue, but Ezoic integration can still be achieved regardless.
Sites can still easily integrate with Ezoic when using WPEngine
While integrating to Ezoic with a WordPress plugin may be familiar and seem easy. For features like the Site Speed Accelerator and Ad Tester, Wordpress integration actually has several drawbacks.
Primary Ezoic integration recommendations are Cloud (name server change) and Cloudflare integration.
Integrating with WPEngine will give you both options.
Here are the steps for both ways to integrate Ezoic with WPEngine
Login to your WPEngine account, select your site that you wish to integrate, and select Domains from the sidebar menu
CNAME Flattening using WPEngine and Cloudflare instructions
- Sign up for a Cloudflare account.
- Enter your domain name when prompted and create a free account.
- Your existing records will automatically fill in. Delete the existing A record.
- Add a CNAME record using your WP Engine default domain (EX: environment.wpengine.com).
- Check your “www” record:
- If your “www” record here is an alias of your domain, you can leave it as-is.
- If it points to an IP address, you will need to perform steps 4 & 5 for the “www” record as well.
- You will be prompted to change your nameservers. This step will be performed at your DNS host, if it is not WPEngine. Cloudflare will show you two different nameservers values. Leave this tab open so you can easily copy and paste them in the next step!
- IF NOT WPENGINE HOSTED: your DNS host find the area to edit your nameservers. Typically, this is in the same area where you manage DNS records. You may need to select an option to set “custom nameservers”.
- Change the nameservers to the ones shown in the Cloudflare pane.
- Back in Cloudflare, click Continue.
Now you have 2 Ezoic integration options — Cloudflare is likely the easiest and fastest
First, name servers from Cloudflare will have to propagate across (usually 14-16 hours).
After this time has passed, you can elect to log back into Ezoic and select the — now available — Cloudflare integration option.
Simply click, Cloudflare Integration and activate via your Cloudflare account, you're done!
No further steps are needed. You should gain access to all Ezoic features and functions within minutes of integration (if you are unable to confirm that you are integrated after at least an hour, please contact email@example.com for assistance).
The second option is if you prefer to use Ezoic name servers (not necessary if you have elected Cloudflare integration.
Your 2nd option is Ezoic Cloud integration. Here, you'll just need to log back into your Cloudflare account and change the default Cloudflare name servers to the ones provided at the Ezoic.
NOTE: This requires a paid subscription to Cloudflare. So, for most publishers, the free Cloudflare account and integration option above are likely preferred.
With a Cloudflare business account, you can change your Cloudflare name servers to the ones provided at the Ezoic integration screen.
Now, you'll have to wait 14-16 hours until name servers propagate across the web before integration is complete. After this time, you will be fully-integrated with Ezoic. No further steps are needed.
For additional assistance or questions about integrating with WPEngine, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.